You can present Your organization / company here. Ask for Terms and Conditions here .

Home arrow The PI Forum
The PI Club
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
We welcome our first Crazy Presentation!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
It is proposed that the purpose for the first interstellar mission be to establish a new human civilization in another solar system.
Go to bottom
TOPIC: We welcome our first Crazy Presentation!
tpacher (Moderator)
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
We welcome our first Crazy Presentation! 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
So here we go: the first Crazy Presentation is online!

In The EGR Mission - Rationale and Design of the First True Interstellar Mission PI Club Member John Hunt - John, thank you for your good work! - argues that the main driver for our first starship should be the will for humanity's surviving, generated by possible risks emerging rapidly in our days. An exciting proposal: I think it is worth to pay special attention to the ethical questuions assigned to such a mission; John's arguments are detailed in a dedicated appendix on this topic.

Let's start the discussions!

Tibor

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/05/04 10:11 By tpacher.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
johnhunt (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:We welcome our first Crazy Presentation! 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
I believe that the key ethical question with an EGR mission is as follows:

Would the extinction of humanity warrant taking the ethical risks involved in an EGR mission?

First, in my EGR paper, I explain that ectogenesis and android child rearing would not be activated only if it appeared as though humanity had gone extinct. After 2,000 years, humanity should have developed to the point of arriving at the target star system. So if humans aren't there when the EGR crafts arrive then there's a good chance that humanity went extinct. My argument is that this situation would justify any attempt at establishing a new human civilization.

Second, I would argue that enough preparation could be made (i.e. production of life support supplies) that the children would have a fighting chance at surviving to adulthood.

Finally, I argue that our level of android technology now, and certain with adequate funding to 40 years from now, should provide very realistic parenting to the children.

I am interested to find out if those who have read the EGR paper and the accompanying Ethical Considerations appendix would agree.

John

Logged Logged  
tpacher (Moderator)
graph
Re:We welcome our first Crazy Presentation! 8 Years ago Karma: 0  
Just a general remark here: providing a dedicated Forum to every Crazy Presentation allows us to create separate threads for specific topics of it - these could be e.g. a thread for the Ethical Questions, a second one on the Ground Segment Issue, etc for The EGR Mission. If you think there is a special topics of relevance which deserves a discussion on its own, just create a new thread for it - but please check the existing ones before. This helps to keep the forum well-arranged and not becoming intransparent.

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/05/30 10:37 By tpacher.
Go to top
© 2007 - 2017 The PI Club
Operated by peregrinus * consulting software services