Home arrow The PI Forum
The PI Club
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
EGR - Moving Forward
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
It is proposed that the purpose for the first interstellar mission be to establish a new human civilization in another solar system.
Go to bottom
TOPIC: EGR - Moving Forward
johnhunt (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
EGR - Moving Forward 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
Under the EGR Ground Segment thread, Tibor poses the question of how to get this project organized right now. I think that this issue is large enough to merit its own thread.

The EGR Paper is now submitted as a Crazy Idea and there is a process whereby it can be formally evaluated. I hope that that process will be walked through ultimately by the Crazy Board.

It seems to me that the Tau Zero Foundation is the only? interstellar organization with a significant number of aerospace professional members. They seem to feel that they have the capacity to update the Daedalus Project for example. Yet it seems that they have no mechanism for participation from a non-professional like myself. But you, Tibor, might be able to be the organic link between the PI Club and them.

My hope is that the EGR proposal will be judged based upon its individual merits and not simply by opinions. The mission design presumes funding and time which would be expected for any nationally prioritized NASA program (i.e. up to $100 billion). So, for example, the current lack of interactive androids is not what should be judged but the abilities of interactive androids after $10 billion in development and 30 years.

Expertise should be brought to bear as I am not a working professional in any of the aspects of the mission. In developing the concept I have e-mailed a couple dozen experts to get their voluntary opinion on specific aspects. The responsiveness has been mixed. Many of the Crazy Board members will be recognized professionals in the aerospace industry and so would hopefully be able to solicit volunteer experts. For example, the issue of how biologic cells or tissue can be protected and/or reproduced en route is one of the issues that still needs to be completely resolved. I hope that the experts will constructively help improve the concept before the Crazy Board makes its judgement.

I am noticing that a lot of people are reading these posts but are not jumping in to post your thoughts. Please do, even if briefly!

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
tpacher (Moderator)
graph
Re:EGR - Moving Forward 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
It seems to me that the Tau Zero Foundation is the only? interstellar organization with a significant number of aerospace professional members. They seem to feel that they have the capacity to update the Daedalus Project for example. Yet it seems that they have no mechanism for participation from a non-professional like myself. But you, Tibor, might be able to be the organic link between the PI Club and them.
John, peregrinus interstellar / The PI Club and the Tau Zero Foundation are affiliated with each other - Marc Millis and several other TZF Practitioners are also a pint member as I am a Tau Zero Practitioner.

We want to build up the "Crazy Ideas" platform here in The PI Club to to let in provocative ideas while filtering out cranks - but this build-up process simply needs time. We have just started - with Your great contribution as the first one, and the second Crazy Presentation is already in work and there is an idea for the Crazy Ideas' Incubator in the pipeline as well.

Logged Logged  
tpacher (Moderator)
graph
Re:EGR - Moving Forward 7 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
The EGR Paper is now submitted as a Crazy Idea and there is a process whereby it can be formally evaluated. I hope that that process will be walked through ultimately by the Crazy Board. John, according to our rules, the Crazy Board did its work in the first step. It reviewed Your Crazy Presentation and agreed to post it in The PI Club. The next step - besides discussions here in the forum - would be to create one or more Crazy Project Proposals for the EGR Mission: see here the way how to go From Crazy Ideas to PI Club Projects. You - or anybody else interested in - might set up such proposals.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions related to this.

Logged Logged  
Go to top
© 2007 - 2017 The PI Club
Operated by peregrinus * consulting software services